Business Law & Regulation
Treasury provides policy advice on company law and corporate governance issues, corporate insolvency, corporate financial reporting and electronic commerce, oversight of portfolio agencies connected to corporate regulation and related international issues.
Legislation relating to Business Law can be found on this website under Bills, Acts and Legislation.
Statements of Expectations and Statements of Intent
As part of the response to the Review of the Corporate Governance of Statutory Authorities and Office Holders (commonly referred to as the Uhrig Report) the Australian Government agreed that Ministers would issue Statements of Expectations to statutory agencies.
Through issuing a Statement of Expectation, a Minister is able to provide greater clarity about government policies and objectives relevant to a statutory authority, including the policies and priorities it is expected to observe in conducting its operations. The Statement of Expectations recognises the independence of the statutory agency.
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
- Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA)
- Australian Reinsurance Pool Corporation (ARPC)
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Australian Taxation Office (Tax Office)
- Corporations and Markets Advisory Committee (CAMAC)
- Inspector-General of Taxation (IGT)
- Productivity Commission
Standard Business Reporting
- Report of the Taskforce on Reducing Regulatory Burdens on Business - Final Government Response
- Treasurer's Press Release 88 of 2006 - Report of the Taskforce on Reducing Regulatory Burdens on Business - Final Government Response
- Treasurer's Press Release 89 of 2006 - Reducing Business Reporting Costs
- Supporting Documents
Corporate and Financial Services Regulation Review
- Draft Regulations - Amendments to the Corporations Regulations 2001 - XX April 2007
- Simpler Regulatory System Bill Package - 24 May 2007
- Details of consultation paper - 7 April 2006
Insolvency Reform Package
- Guidelines for Release of Price Sensitive Decisions by Australian Government Depts and Agencies - Exposure Draft April 2004
Exposure Draft Bills and Regulations for Consultation:
For Exposure Draft Bills and Regulations currently open for consultation please refer to the Consultations page on this website.
Corporations Law Economic Reform Program (CLERP) - Background Material
|Results 1 to 3 of 3|
|30-11-1999||Speech - Insolvency Systems in Asia: An Efficiency Perspective|
|27-07-1999||Speech - Corporate Governance: The Way Ahead|
|16-06-1999||Speech - Accounting Standard Setting for the New Millenium|